(Cedar Rapids, Iowa) – Experience a delightful market with local handcrafted items, delicious treats, entertainment, and activities for people of all ages on December 2 and 3 at the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library (NCSML). The Old World Christmas Market, inspired by traditional European markets, is an enchanted celebration of culture, community, and holiday cheer. It is free for the entire weekend, including admission to all NCSML galleries. This year, the market hours have been extended from 9:30 a.m. – 8 p.m. on Saturday, December 2 and 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Sunday, December 3.
New This Year: Czech and Slovak Pop-Up Restaurant
The menu of this full-service restaurant will feature traditional and authentic favorites.
Guests can sit down and enjoy the festive atmosphere, or grab takeout for a meal at home. Mulled wine and hot chocolate will be served outside on the terrace.
As always, Old World Christmas Market features:
- Live entertainment including the Marion Chamber Trio (Saturday at noon), the Young at Harp Ensemble (Saturday at 2:30 p.m.), a Bell Choir Saturday evening and the SvětluškyYouth Ensemble (Sunday at 1 p.m.)
- Wreath Raffle (Winners drawn on Sunday at 3 p.m.)
- Cookie Walk (Saturday at 9:30 a.m. – noon, or as long as supplies last)
- Kolache Café
- The Museum Store’s famousannual ornament sale with Master Czech Folk Artist Marj Nejdl on site to personalize Czech Christmas Ornaments from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, December 2
- Visits from Svatý Mikuláš
- Family-Friendly Crafts both days
Totally free admission to all galleries, permanent and traveling
Don’t miss the one-of-a-kind exhibition of priceless antique and modern garnets from the National Museum in Prague: Brilliant Bohemian Garnets. This exhibit is only making one stop in America, and that’s in Iowa. Once it returns to the Czech Republic, it will become part of Prague’s permanent exhibit.
Visit www.NCSML.org/OWCM for the most up-to-date details