The health and safety of our National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library community — staff, volunteers, members, and guests — is our top priority. With that consideration in mind, the NCSML will be temporarily closing to the public effective March 17, 2020.
This decision was made on the advice and recommendations of the Executive Committee of the NCSML Board of Trustees and the NCSML Leadership Cabinet. We have had no known cases of exposure to COVID-19 at the NCSML. However, we have been closely monitoring the evolving situation, and this difficult decision was based on recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control, advice from the Iowa Department of Public Health, area school closures, church closures, and actions by museums and cultural centers in the area. We feel it is our responsibility to do what we can to help reduce the rapid spread of COVID-19.
Events and programs scheduled to take place during this closure will either be cancelled or rescheduled. This includes the following:
- Wednesday, March 18: Movin’ at the Museum: Yoga postponed, new date TBD
- Wednesday, March 18: Needlepoint Guild demonstrations cancelled
- Thursday, March 19: Robot Film Series: “WALL-E” postponed, new date TBD
- Friday, March 20: Tonight’s for Teens Board Game Night postponed, new date TBD
- Saturday, March 21: Movin’ at the Museum: POUND cancelled
- Friday, March 27: Artist’s as Activists Opening postponed, new date TBD
- Saturday, March 28: Movin’ at the Museum: POUND cancelled
- Sunday, March 29: Farewell to Old Mother Winter cancelled
- Friday, April 3 and Saturday, April 4: Egg Decorating with Master Folk Artist Marj Nejdl postponed, new date TBD
- Saturday, April 4: Free First Saturday for students cancelled
- Saturday, April 4: Immigrant Foodways: Sarmale postponed, new date TBD
- Wednesday, April 8: Bobbin Lace Making demonstration cancelled
- Wednesday, April 8: History on Tap: Humanoid Robot Takeover postponed, new date TBD
- Thursday, April 9: Robot Film Series: “I, Robot” postponed, new date TBD
- Thursday, April 9: Music @ the Museum: Harafica Cymbal Band cancelled
- Saturday, April 11: Movin’ at the Museum: POUND cancelled
- Wednesday, April 15: Needlepoint Guild demonstrations cancelled
Individual programs scheduled by outside renters may continue. You will need to contact the event program sponsor for more information.
While the NCSML doors are closed, staff will be working and available to answer any questions you may have. Please call (319) 362-8500 for more information. We will keep you posted with the latest information as it becomes available. We will also keep you connected with virtual tours, educational programming, online exhibits, and podcasts.
Buďte dobře a pečujte!
Buďte dobre a opatrne!
Be well and take care!